Friday, July 18, 2008

Oh Shingini!

I was thinking for quite some time to write on this, but the over enthusiasm and excessive publicity by media had already satiated readers. Since the hoopla is nearly over now, yours truly would like to say a few words on this regard.
Every day when I return from office, I see my mother glued to the TV, watching one reality show or the other. I have come back from US lately after nearly 2 years,and I see this as a new phenomena in Indian entertainment. I remember, the first dance reality show, Nach Baliye, which started sometime around end 2005, and it was a big success. I watched it intensely, mainly due to the big star cast, as well as some excellent choreography and dance by the participants. Circa 2008, I see that nearly all TV channels host one reality show or the other, nearly every day. In India, if anything
becomes a hit, everybody imitates it to earn quick money,be it a reality show or a formula bollywood movie. But the thing which surprised me very much is the presence of minors in these shows. Dancing in front of a number of people, besides being watched by millions across TV, is a big challenge and puts enormous mental pressure on these kids.
Shingini had prior neurological disorders, as I understood from the reports of various newspapers. Why this was not reported earlier to the authorities simply baffles me. Were her parents not aware of this situation?Or was she under extreme pressure by her parents to perform?
I would not go into those details regarding the rat race in which all kids face themselves or the pressure and over expectation by parents.Readers, please note an important thing. While watching the different choreography, I find that very complex dance steps are being made to perform by these minors. Physical fitness/exercise should start from a very early age. If a 15 year old unfit girl suddenly participates
in a dance competition and is being forced to perform difficult dance movements, she can have serious injuries.
Was Shingini overstretched, beyond her physical limits? God Knows.

2 comments:

Anustup said...

India is a big selling nation, pelvic thrusts and gyrations sell even if it is of 5-6 year old's....its paedophalia at its best!!

Voice said...

i dont know Shingini

but i agree... parents should not pressurize/compare their kids...